End of Support for Temasys WebRTC Plugin on Safari 12 and onwards
Posted On October 3, 2018 by Kai Leng Ang in Blog, Media
With the release of Safari 12, Apple has discontinued support for third-party NPAPI plugins. This means that third party plugins, including the Temasys WebRTC Plugin for Safari, will no longer work with the new version(s) of Apple Safari.
Temasys has taken the following steps to ensure that we are as compatible as possible with the new version of Safari:
- We have released a new version of AdapterJS that overrides Safari’s native implementation where possible, and leaves the native implementation untouched otherwise. You can read more about using the Temasys WebRTC Plugin with Safari 11 here.
- We will continue to ensure that Temasys AdapterJS remains up to date with Google’s version of webrtc-adapter.
Questions and Answers
Are there any exceptions to this decision by Apple?
- We are not aware of any workarounds or exceptions being made to this decision, except for Flash Player.
What happens from the end user’s perspective?
- As explained here, Safari versions 11 and above have native WebRTC implementation, so your App should continue to function without the Plugin for most use cases.
- End users will not be warned that they have lost the ability to run third-party NPAPI plugins.
- Temasys is also unable to warn end users that the plugin is no longer supported because, as a result of the changes to Safari, the plugin will never be started.
- It is unlikely that there will be an easy way for end users to roll back their software or applications to use earlier versions of Safari just to maintain access to the Temasys WebRTC Plugin.
What you may need to do.
- If your application uses Safari’s native WebRTC implementation, it should continue to work with no change required by you.
- If your application uses the flag AdapterJS.options.forceSafariPlugin = true, you will need to update to the latest Temasys AdapterJS version.
Is Apple adding any sort of plugin support to Safari, in any fashion?
- Apple supports Safari extensions, but Safari extensions do not allow the embedding of NPAPI plugins in them.
Give Temasys Skylink WebRTC Platform A Try!
While we love being renowned for our WebRTC Plugin, we are also extremely happy with the success we’ve had with the Temasys Skylink Platform. Temasys has worked hard to build and grow our business as a Communications Platform as a Service for Embedded Real-Time Communications.
We understand that you may have developed your own WebRTC solution from scratch, or perhaps you are using a Platform as a Service to power the WebRTC-powered components of your applications. Maybe you even tried the Temasys Platform some time ago and we didn’t suit your needs at that time. We offer easy-to-use SDKs for Web, Android, and IOS, all designed to help you quickly add real-time engagement features like live video, audio, screen sharing, and data sharing to any app, on any device, at any scale.
Try our FREE 30-day trials to build your applications, and it takes less than five minutes to get signed up and started with Skylink!